Friday 30 September 2011

RS - SnorriCam

What a professional SnorriCam looks like
A SnorriCam (also chestcam, bodymount camera, bodycam or bodymount) is a camera device used in filmmaking that is rigged to the body of the actor, facing the actor directly, so when they walk, they do not appear to move, but everything around them does. A SnorriCam presents a dynamic point of view from the actor's perspective, providing an unusual sense of vertigo for the viewer.
Source: Wikipedia

From research online I have found tutorials on how to create a SnorriCam on a small (ish!) budget and replicate the results from a professional music video into my own. Personally I love the effect it has and I think it is extreamely unique and worth the effort! Next week I hope to do some futher research online and to look for places to gather all the materials to make the SnorriCam. I am then going to start constructing the product as I really want to encorporate it into my main coursework task. It will take effort and time to find materials and make it but it will be a nice little side project, will be fun and also rewarding in the final music video.



SnorriCams have been used within music videos which I have looked at such as System of a Down's Chop Suey. This is an example of it being used on a professional level however as you will see below there is another end to the spectrum with similar results if not even better! 0:57 and 1:10 are examples of the SnorriCam being used in this music video. In this music video you can even see the harness that holds the SnorriCam to the band member which is something I want to avoid! So having clothing covering it or having the camera zoomed in closer to the actor will be vital! I can learn from what they have done and make sure I don't do the same thing.



What the image looks like

They have also been used by media students from the year above in their coursework which shows that with a small budget you can build one yourself and get similar results to a professional SnorriCam which could cost hundreds of pounds. 0:52 and 1:04 are examples of the SnorriCam being used in this music video and I hope I can get similar results when I create my own. A post from one of the creators of this music video highlights him creating a SnorriCam and photographing the stages in the creation. The SnorriCam works really well with the narrative of their music video as it follows a mans addiction to drugs and with the SnorriCam it can give a really clear CU whilst slightly blurring the background when movement occurs (connoting the drug taking in the narrative)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, keep them clean!